While some of you have been followers since the Creative Field Recording blog began early 2011, many of you are new readers.
There’s a lot of information here. In fact, over 300,000 words in 300+ articles so far. Where do you start?
You can browse articles on field recording, look at the website’s all-time top 10 popular posts, the best posts by year, popular article series, and read ways of keeping in touch.
Articles on Field Recording Sound Effects
I write about field recording worldwide and being creative while doing this. I also write about selling sound effects on the web.
Field Recording Sound Effects Worldwide
I call field recording missions recording sound effects ‘field reports.’
In field report articles I write about my goal, challenges getting there, and reflections on the process. There are always sound effect previews, and sometimes free downloads.
Browse the field recording field reports.
I also write about sound effects recording technique and field recording generally.
Creativity While Field Recording
I’ve explored ideas how to remain creative while recording sound effects.
I’ve written about new ways to approach field recording sound effects in a thoughtful way. I look at ways to record while being respectful and aware of the sound itself. I also often write about recording with an emphasis on investing your own personality into your work as contrasted to relying solely on gear.
I also write about the struggle to remain creative when under pressure or when uninspired.
Read more about creativity while field recording sound effects.
Sharing Sound Effects on the Web
I’ve been sharing and selling sound effects on the web since 1999.
I write articles about how you can do the same, best practices I’ve learned, and thoughts on the future of selling or sharing sound effects.
Read my articles about e-commerce and selling sound effects.
Top Ten Popular Posts
These are the most visited pages from the last three years.
- Sound Effects Decibel Level Chart
- The Quick & Easy Way to Create Impulse Responses
- First Look: SoundQ Sound Effects Library Manager
- Field Recording Gear Buyer’s Guide for 2021
- Sony PCM-D100 Review: One Year Later
- How to Record Sound Effects on a Budget for 2023
- How to Sell Sound Effects for Success 2: Distinguishing Your Library
- The Unconventional Microphone Buyer’s Guide for 2021
- How to Embed Creativity into Your Sound Effects – Part 2
- An Introduction to Sound FX Metadata Apps 2 – Comparing Apps
Best Posts by Year
These articles list my favourite posts from each year.
- Best Posts of 2011
- Best Posts of 2012
- Best Posts of 2013
- Best Posts of 2014
- Best Posts of 2015
- Best Posts of 2016
- Best Posts of 2017
I have written a number of month-long series of articles:
- Metadata Month – learn about how to add the bonus text to sound effects to help sound editors search and find clips more easily in the introductory series and the “back to basics” series.
- A Month of Field Recordists – learn from almost 50 community field recordists in this series about equipment and how it affects their craft (2015 series, 2016 series).
- Post Roundups – read easily digestible roundups of previous post topics.
How to Stay in Touch
You can read a bit more about me and my vision for the website.
To stay up to date on articles, you can join the free email newsletter. You can also subscribe to the free RSS feed. They’ll both let you know when new articles are published.
You can follow me on Twitter or on Facebook. I post more frequently on the website than articles appear there. I also sometimes have have videos on YouTube.
Or, you can just stop by. I post Wednesdays, and only when I feel I have something meaningful to offer.
If you’re interested in hearing more about my downloadable sound effects website, I also write on the Airborne Sound Blog.
Do you have feedback? Idea for an article, or something you want to read? Feel free to email me.