While some of you have been followers since the Creative Field Recording blog began early 2011, many of you are new readers.
There’s a lot of information here. In fact, over 300,000 words in 300+ articles so far. Where do you start?
Articles on Field Recording Sound Effects
I write about field recording worldwide and being creative while doing this. I also write about selling sound effects on the web.
Field Recording Sound Effects Worldwide
I call field recording missions recording sound effects ‘field reports.’
In field report articles I write about my goal, challenges getting there, and reflections on the process. There are always sound effect previews, and sometimes free downloads.
Browse the field recording field reports.
Creativity While Field Recording
I’ve explored ideas how to remain creative while recording sound effects.
I’ve written about new ways to approach field recording sound effects in a thoughtful way. I look at ways to record while being respectful and aware of the sound itself. I also often write about recording with an emphasis on investing your own personality into your work as contrasted to relying solely on gear.
I also write about the struggle to remain creative when under pressure or when uninspired.
Read more about creativity while field recording sound effects.
Sharing Sound Effects on the Web
I’ve been sharing and selling sound effects on the web since 1999.
I write articles about how you can do the same, best practices I’ve learned, and thoughts on the future of selling or sharing sound effects.
Read my articles about e-commerce and selling sound effects.
Top Ten Popular Posts
These are the most visited pages from the last three years.
- Sound Effects Decibel Level Chart
- Field Recording Gear Buyer's Guide
- The Unconventional Microphone Buyer’s Guide
- An Introduction to Ambisonics
- How to Record Gun Sound Effects - A List of Resources
- Community Field Recording Equipment - Microphones and Favourite Kits
- Sony PCM-D100 Review: One Year Later
- How to Record Quiet Nature Sounds: The Threat of Noise
- How Recording Room Tone Improves Your Field Recordings
- How to Choose A Sound Library Manager App
Best Posts by Year
These articles list my favourite posts from each year.
- Best Posts of 2011
- Best Posts of 2012
- Best Posts of 2013
- Best Posts of 2014
- Best Posts of 2015
- Best Posts of 2016
- Best Posts of 2017
I have written a number of month-long series of articles:
- Metadata Month – learn about how to add the bonus text to sound effects to help sound editors search and find clips more easily in the introductory series and the “back to basics” series.
- A Month of Field Recordists – learn from almost 50 community field recordists in this series about equipment and how it affects their craft (2015 series, 2016 series).
- Post Roundups – read easily digestible roundups of previous post topics.
How to Stay in Touch
You can read a bit more about me and my vision for the website.
Or, you can just stop by. I post Wednesdays, and only when I feel I have something meaningful to offer.
If you’re interested in hearing more about my downloadable sound effects website, I also write on the Airborne Sound Blog.
Do you have feedback? Idea for an article, or something you want to read? Feel free to email me.