Many of you will be familiar with sound shop website Soundsnap.
I’ve worked with the team there from time to time in various ways almost since Soundsnap’s inception in 2007. In 2016, they launched an industry blog for audio pros and video editors with interviews, tutorials, and more. I wrote a handful of articles for the site at the time. Recently, they kindly invited me to submit a few more posts to the blog.
I’ve been a bit too busy to write consistent articles here on Creative Field Recording, so, in the meantime, I asked the Soundsnap crew if it would be cool to share with you links to the articles. They agreed.
So, this post will be a roundup of sound effect, field recording, and pro sound gear articles I’ve written elsewhere on the Internet.
It was an interesting experience writing for Soundsnap. On Creative Field Recording I tend to go deep with 2,500+ word posts about specialized subjects. In contrast, the Soundsnap readership are a more varied crowd of production crew, video editors, podcast makers, students, post editors, and others. So, the Soundsnap posts take a more general, global approach for beginners.
Sound Editing and Mastering
- The Best Pro Tools Productivity Tips – How to Deliver to Your Clients Faster. Organizational tips for working in Pro Tools.
- 11 Essential Pro Tools Keyboard Shortcuts. Handy key combinations and macros that speed up your work when editing in Pro Tools.
- The Reaper Quick Start Guide. A quick introduction to the popular editing app for newbies.
- What To Expect When Switching to Reaper. A guide of what to expect when switching to Reaper from other editing apps.
- 2 Reaper Hacks to Help Organize Your Projects. Using regions and markers to speed up your work when working in Reaper.
- How to Choose a Portable Audio Recorder. A list of portable audio recorders for beginners.
- The Basics: 4 Top Stereo Recording Techniques Explained. An overview of popular field recording miking techniques.
Production Sound & Filmmaking
- How to Ensure High Quality Sound Recording on Your Indie Film. An introduction to getting the best audio you can from production sound projects, including tips for working with crew, education, technique, and mentality.
- The Quick-Start List of Essential Microphones for Filmmakers. A beginner’s list of microphone options for production sound.
- The Best Indie Film Audio Recorders Under $1,000. Similar to the previous list, but features digital audio recorders.
- 27 Secret Tricks for Foley Sound Effects on Your Film. A list of classic Foley props and effects.
- How to Create Your First Podcast. A simple how-to guide for getting started sharing you podcast show with the world.
I do have a few more articles yet to be published to the site. I’ll update the list when Soundsnap adds them to their blog.