I recently had the pleasure of speaking with Tonebenders co-host René Coronado on their excellent field recording and sound design podcast. It was the second time I had the opportunity to appear there. A few years ago I was on the show chatting about sound effects mastering and databasing.
This time, René and I chatted about the new Sound Devices MixPre models released earlier this year. We began the 75 minute chat discussing the MixPre-3 and MixPre-6. That conversation grew into a discussion about choosing equipment thoughtfully, and how one can intertwine their craft with gear choices for superior results.
How Field Recording Equipment Selections Evolve
During the podcast we chatted about the new recorders:
- Reasons for choosing the MixPre recorders instead of more expensive and elaborate gear.
- The preamps featured on the new units.
- Field recording examples.
- New workflows required for working with the machines.
We also talked about broader things:
- Ideas for choosing equipment thoughtfully.
- René mentioned some interesting points about microphone selection and recording perspectives.
- Selecting equipment appropriate for the subject.
- Upgrade path options.
- How to test new gear.
- The hidden benefits of working with budget or “poor” gear.
- The effect of buying premium gear as your first purchase.
My thanks to Timothy Muirhead and René Coronado for inviting me on the show. Also thank you to René for being such a great host and asking outstanding questions. It’s such a pleasure to be welcomed on the podcast.